1. Familiarization with matrix notation.
2. Use of matrices in mathematical modeling.
3. Engineering applications of vectors and vector spaces.
4. Engineering applications of eigenvalues and eigenvectors.
5. Solving linear systems.
6. Intuition and mathematical formulation of 3-dimensional and more generally Ν-dimensional Euclidean
space. Lines and planes in 3-dimensional space; solution of associated geometric problems.
7. Introduction to surfaces in 3-dimensional space. Identification, plot and classification of 2nd degree
surfaces in 3-dimensional space.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Matrices and their algebra. Determinants. Linear systems. Vector spaces (linear dependence and independence, basis, dimension). Orthogonality. Eigenvalues, eigenvectors diagonalization and their applications. Vectors and their algebra. Euclidean spaces RN. Cross product and triple product in R3. Lines and planes in R3. Relative positions between lines or planes. Surfaces. Sphere. Classification of 2nd order curves in the plane and surfaces in space.