Students are expected to take part in the course
• to understand the basic principles and the specific approach of music education for preschool children
• to approach in a theoretical and experiential way selected music educational methods, the basic forms of musical expression and musical concepts
• to develop their own musical skills using creatively the voice and the body, sound objects as well as of simple rhythmic and melodic musical instruments
• through step-by-step support to assimilate and creatively integrate the musical knowledge gained in small group musical compositions
• to familiarize with the design of musical activities for the kindergarten applying them in microteaching; also to understand the pedagogical attitude and the teacher role in encouraging and developing children's musical creativity and expression
Course Content (Syllabus)
Students become familiar with the content and teaching methodology of music in preschool education in a twofold way:
a/ getting to know the ‘child as musician’: The course deals with international research findings and innovative applications in the field of early childhood music education. Through various theories about children’s musical development and musical creativity, the different modes of children’s musical communication are realized and the nature of the music that children create.
b/ understanding different modes of musical expression (listening-performing-improvisation and composing) as well selected music education theories in theory and practice.
c/ understanding the teacher’s role in music education: adopting a child-centered view of music education, supporting their process of sound discovery and the development of critical and reflective thinking.
Direct participation in musical activities and musical games taking as a starting point the basic elements of music and selected music educational theories. Experiential learning through group cooperative activities.
music in preschool age, musical development, musical creativity, musical communication, reflection, musical games
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
(1) Δογάνη, Κ. (2012) Μουσική στην προσχολική ηλικία: αλληλεπίδραση παιδιού-παιδαγωγού, Αθήνα: Gutenberg.
(2) Καραδήμου-Λιάτσου, Π. (2003) Η μουσικοπαιδαγωγική τον 20ο αιώνα: οι σημαντικότερες απόψεις για την προσχολική ηλικία, Αθήνα: Orpheus, Νικολαΐδου.
(3) Green, L. (2014) Άκουσε και Παίξε! Αθήνα: Fagotto.
Additional bibliography for study
Barrett, M. (2003), Meme engineers: Children as producers of musical culture, International Journal of Early Years Education, 11, 3: 195-212.
Barrett, M. S. (2011), Towards a cultural psychology of music education, in: M. S. Barrett (Ed.) A cultural psychology of music education, Oxford: Oxford University Press, pp. 1-16.
Copple, C. & Bredekamp, S. (2011), Αναπτυξιακά κατάλληλες πρακτικές για παιδιά προσχολικής ηλικίας (Επιμέλεια: Ε. Ντολιοπούλου), Αθήνα: Πεδίο.
Young, S. (2003), Time-space structuring in spontaneous play in educational percussion instruments among three- and four-year-olds, British Journal of Music Education, 20, 1: 45-49.
Δογάνη, Κ. (2009α), Ο αναστοχασμός ως μέσο ενδυνάμωσης του εκπαιδευτικού μουσικής, στο: Ξ. Παπαπαναγιώτου (επιμ.), Ζητήματα Μουσικής Παιδαγωγικής, Θεσσαλονίκη: ΕΕΜΕ, σσ. 369-388.