Upon completion of this course, students will be able tο:
- understand the various concepts related to the interventions in urban space;
- be informed about the diachronic and contemporary approaches in urban design and urban planning;
- get acquainted with the interdisciplinary and integrated spatial and transport planning approach
- comprehend the stages of urban interventions, from the planning phase to the urban design project phase;
- use techniques of analysis and design in urban planning and in urban design;
- implement theoretical knowledge in design practice.
Course Content (Syllabus)
The course is a design studio supported by theoretical lectures of the instructors which analyze and clarify key concepts that are supportive in developing the workshop part of the course.
Specific issues to be addressed are the following:
•Theoretical base and key notions of urban planning and design.
•Concepts and techniques of analysis, planning and design of urban space and the logic of the programming process.
•Traditional and contemporary approaches to urban planning and design.
•Modern phenomena and sustainable methods related to both international urban environment, and the Greek city.