• To understand the basic principles of relative and absolute age determination.
• To understand the principal isotope systematics used in geochronology and how they are applied to radiometric dating.
• To obtain an understanding the isotopic analytical techniques involved.
• To acquire basic knowledge of the different isotopic methods used in radiometric dating and the underlying geochemical principles.
• To choose between the different dating techniques.
• To acquire the basic knowledge on the interpretation and evaluation of radiometric ages.
Course Content (Syllabus)
• Geology and time
• Relative age determination
• Absolute age determination
• Methods of analysis-Mass spectrometer
• Rb-Sr Method
• K-Ar and Ar-Ar methods
• U-Pb method
• Sm-Nd method
• C-14 method
• Re-Os method
• Case studies
Dating of rocks, Dating of geological processes, isotopes, Geochronology of rocks in Greece