Upon the successful completion of the course, students will:
1. Understand basic mathematical texts in English
2. Knowledge of basic mathematical terminology in English
3. Be able to present basic mathematical proofs orally in English
4. Be able to express basic mathematical proofs written in English
Course Content (Syllabus)
The Department of Mathematics enables all students to reach an appropriate level of comprehension in English during their studies, as concerning the mathematical texts which they are encouraged to study. Emphasis is placed on the development of the vocabulary and terminology that appear in the aforementioned mathematical texts in scientific journals and / or books and on the production of written and oral speech using the terminology which they have studied.
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1. ENGLISH FOR MATHEMATICS, by Frank Evans and George Danousis, ΕΚΔΟΣΕΙΣ ΖΗΤΗ, ΙΣΒΝ 960-431-769-5.
2. ACADEMIC ENGLISH FOR MATHEMATICS. An English for Specific Academic Purposes Course for International students of Mathematics, by Kallia Katsampoxaki-Hodgetts and Eleftheria Hatzitheodoridou, DISIGMA PUBLICATIONS, ISBN 978-618-5242-28-2.
3. TECHNICAL ENGLISH. COURSE BOOK by TERRY PHILLIPS. NEW EDITION, GARNET EDUCATION PUBLISHERS. ISBN 978-1-85964-649-6