The students will be able to describe and analyze the theological teaching of the Church Fathers who lived and acted from the 5th up to the 8th century.
Also, they will be able to solve and clarify any literary and theo¬logical issue that raised during the considered period of the patristic literature.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Teaching of the life, works and theology of the Church Fathers who lived from the 5th until the 8th century. They are presented introductory historical - literary elements for each one of the Fathers and his work, and finally explained and analyzed basic theological positions of their teaching.
1. Introductory course concerning the thought and the teaching of the fathers of that period.
2. Antiochian writers with special reference on Nestorius of Constantinople.
3. Proclus of Constantinople: The highlights of his life, ergography and extensive presentation of his teaching.
4. Cyril of Alexandria: Presentation of his life, writings and teaching.
5. Theodotus of Ancyra and Theodoretus of Kyros: Biography, literature and theology.
6. Dionysius the Areopagite (Pseudo-Dionysius): The writer, the texts and the theology of the areopagitan works.
7. Leontius of Byzantium: Examination of his life, writings and theological teaching.
8. Anastasii Sinaitae: Presentation of their life, writings and their teaching.
9. Maximus the Confessor I: Main points of his life, works and teaching.
10. Maximus the Confessor II: More extensive presentation of his theology through the writings of the father.
11. Sophronius of Jerusalem: The life, the writings and his theology.
12. Theologians of the iconoclastic period. In particular, biography, writings and teaching of John Damascene.
13. The life, the writings and the teaching of Theodore Studite.
Proclus of Constantinople, Cyril of Alexandria, Leontius of Byzantium, Dionysius the Areopagite (Pseudo-Dionysius), Maximus the Confessor, John Damascene, Theodore Studite .
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1. Π. Χρήστου, Ελληνική Πατρολογία τ. Ε΄, εκδ. Κυρομάνος, Θεσ/νίκη 2006.
2. Στ. Παπαδόπουλου, Πατρολογία τ. Γ΄, εκδ. Γρηγόρη, Αθήνα 2010.
Additional bibliography for study
Π. Χρήστου, Ελληνική Πατρολογία τ. Δ’, εκδ. Κυρομάνος, Θεσ/νίκη 2006. Π. Χρήστου, Εκκλησιαστική Γραμματολογία τ. Α’, εκδ. Κυρομάνος, Θεσ/νίκη 2005. Δ. Τσάμη, Εκκλησιαστική Γραμματολογία και Κείμενα Πατερικής Γραμματείας, εκδ. Πουρναράς, Θεσσαλονίκη 2008. Χρ. Αραμπατζή, Χριστιανική Γραμματεία, τ. Α´: Εκκλησιαστικοί Συγγραφείς και κείμενα της πρώτης χιλιετίας, Θεσσαλονίκη 2008. π. Θεοδώρου Ζήση, Οι Εικόνες στην Ορθόδοξη Εκκλησία, εκδ. Βρυέννιος, Θεσ/νίκη 2007.