Course Content (Syllabus)
This course presents the saints of Thessaloniki in units, starting with the Saints of the apostolic times and ending with the saints of the more recent history. It notes the newer research findings on the individual groups of the saints of Thessaloniki. It makes an extensive reference to the saints that are connected to the apostolic foundation of the Church of Thessaloniki, the martyrs of Thessaloniki, who constitute the larger group of martyrs after the group of Rome, its bishops that were integrated into the church calendar as defenders of the orthodox dogma and exponents of Byzantine theological tradition, the saints that are connected to the long-thriving Byzantine monasticism in and out of the city’s walls, the neomartyrs of the Ottoman period and the new saints of the 18th and 19th centuries. Finally, it guides students in their written assignments.
1. Introductory notes on the research on the Saints of Thessaloniki
2. Introductory notes on the history of Christianity in Thessaloniki
3. The apostolic background of the Church of Thessaloniki and the Saints of the Apostolic times
4. Persecutions and the Martyrs of Thessaloniki
5. The leading figure of Saint Demetrius and the respective literature
6. The Archbishops of Thessaloniki during the first eight centuries: Sanctity and doctrinal truth – S. Paschalidis
7. Saints of Thessaloniki and urban monasticism in Byzantine Thessaloniki
8. Thessaloniki as the centre for Byzantine Hesychasm and the Hesychast Fathers of Thessaloniki
9. The honour of the Saints of Thessaloniki: Examination of the hagiographical and hymnographical literature
10. The dual-see basis of the Church of Thessaloniki during the Ottoman period: Bishops and Neomartyrs of Thessaloniki
11. The new Saints from Thessaloniki of the 18th and 19th centuries
12. The Neomartyrs of Thessaloniki
13. Conclusions– correction of written assignments
Apostolicity of the Church of Thessaloniki, Thessalonican Martyrs, Archbishops of Thessaloniki, Thessalonican Saints, Thessalonican Neomartyrs
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
Πασχαλίδης Συμεών, Οι Άγιοι της Θεσσαλονίκης. Ιστορία - Γραμματεία - Κείμενα, Θεσσαλονίκη 2013 [Κωδ. στον Εύδοξο: 33154273]
ΥΛΗ ΕΞΕΤΑΣΕΩΝ: Από το ανωτέρω σύγγραμμα, τα κεφ. 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7 (σελ. 11-74, 87-144)
Additional bibliography for study
Σ. Πασχαλίδης, Ο Βίος Θεοδώρας της οσιομυροβλύτιδος Θεοδώρας της εν Θεσσαλονίκῃ, [Κέντρον Αγιολογικών Μελετών 1], Θεσσαλονίκη 1991.
S. Efthymiadis, The Ashgate Research Companion to Byzantine Hagiography, τ. I: Periods and Places, τ. II: Genres and Contexts, Farnham 2011-2014.