Upon successful completion of the course, students should
1. Know the production processes of polymers on an industrial scale.
2. They have understood the different classes of polymeric materials, such as plastics, elastomers, fibers, coatings.
3. Know the additives used in polymeric materials.
4. They know the basic molding techniques of plastics.
5. Know the various fields of technological applications of polymers.
Course Content (Syllabus)
1. Polymer production processes (types of polymerization reactors, polymerization reaction techniques, step and chain polymerization processes, mass, solution, suspension, emulsion polymerization).
2. Classes of polymers (plastics, elastomers, textile and industrial fibers, coatings, adhesives).
3. Polymer additives (antistatic additives, blowing agents, reinforcing agents, flame retarders, plasticizers, fillers, hardeners, thermal and UV stabilizers, binders, impact strength improvers, dyes).
4. Forming polymers (viscoelastic behavior, extrusion, injection, blowing, thermoforming, extrusion molding and continuous drawing, rotary molding).
5. Fields of technological applications (polymer blends, applications of polymers in concrete technology, etc.)
Polymerization techniques, polymer additives, plastics, fibers, elastomers, coatings, polymer forming