Upon successful completion of the course, students will understand and develop their abilities in:
- Basic concepts of urban planning
- Using the basic tools of urban planning practice
- The concept of sustainable urban development
- The environmental dimensions of planning at local, regional and global level
- The continuity of urban planning with higher tiers spatial planning and with urban design
- The composition of multi-level strategies for the urban environment
- The organization and presentation of integrated urban planning proposals
Course Content (Syllabus)
The course is based upon the critical reassessment of already implemented urban projects in Europe. The selected projects are relatively recent and are designed to promote sustainable urban development.
The students analyze the processes and the parameters of each project, from the initial conception to its completion, in order to assess whether the initial objectives have been achieved and how they compare to the real consequences for the users and the surrounding area.
The course includes the viewing of video lectures by urban experts and extensive discussions on both general issues and specific projects.
Student work resembles a process of reverse engineering and includes three 4-week steps as follows:
A. Selection of case project. Collection of information on the decision making process, the design process and the implementation process.
B. Analysis of the technical aspects of the above processes including documentation, auditing, strategic decision making, comparison of alternatives, etc.)
C. Redesigning by student groups and proposal of alternative solutions, especially in areas where the projects have failed or diverge from the initial objective to promote sustainable urban living
Urban interventions, sustainable cities, urban design, urban planning
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
- Andrikopoulou E., Yiannakou A., Kafkalas G. and Pitsiava-Latinopoulou M. City and Urban Planning Practices, Kritiki editions, 2014 (in greek).
- Hall T. Urban Geography, Kritiki editions, 2005 (in greek).
- Stevenson D. Cities and Urban Civilisations, Kritiki editions, 2007 (in greek).
- Gospodini A. and Beriatos I. (eds.) New Urban Landscapes and the Greek City, Kritiki editions, 2006 (in greek).
- Deladetsimas P.M. Safe Cities, Exantas editions 2009 (in greek).