Students are expected that within the course will
• understand basic concepts and theories of the psychology of education and be able to integrate them into their pedagogical practice
• know the basic theoretical approaches related to the psychological/cognitive development of children and adolescents and apply this knowledge in the design of teaching methods.
• be able to adapt their pedagogical methods and objectives in accordance with the stages of psychological/cognitive development of their students.
• be able to motivate and encourage learning and creative activities, based on the awareness of relevant theories in the psychology of education.
• understand issues regarding the psychology of visual perception and ways of meaning-making in relation to visual texts (that are mediated by psychological factors), enriching didactic scenarios related to visual culture.
• develop personal modes of (art) educational practice.
• appreciate the value of diversity for the creative development of students.
Course Content (Syllabus)
The course—attended by visual arts students of the School of Fine Arts, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki—outlines an artistic learning approach that arises from a complex range of factors – among them, changes in the art worlds, the society, and the economy; the potential for interdisciplinary forms of expression and communication; and growing expectations amongst students that education should expand their potential for personal satisfaction and civic participation.
Research topics discussed throughout the semester are the following:
1) The origins and functions of creativity,
2) A psychology of creativity: History and research,
3) Children as creative thinkers in music: focus on composition and improvisation,
4) Fostering creativity in inter-artistic settings,
5) Effects of community and educational settings on creativity,
6) Psychology of visual perception and art education,
7) Visual text perception, multimodality and visual literacy.
education, inter-arts, creativity, visuality
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1  "Ο αδαής δάσκαλος"Σύγγραμμα, Ζακ Ρανσιέρ, 2008, Καπόλα Παγώνα-εκδόσεις νήσος, ISBN: 978-960-8392-50-2
2  "Célestin Freinet, θεσμική και κριτική παιδαγωγική"Σύγγραμμα, Συλλογικό έργο, 2017, Οι Εκδόσεις των Συναδέλφων, ISBN: 978-960-9797-61-0
3  "Η Ανάγνωση των Εικόνων: Η Γραμματική του Οπτικού Σχεδιασμού"Σύγγραμμα, Kress & Van Leeuven, 2010, ΕΠΙΚΕΝΤΡΟ, ISBN: 978-960-458-266-2