By the end of the course, the students will acquire:
(i) a comprehensive overview on the Greek Nature and will understand the factors contributing to the high diversity in flora and fauna, currently present in Greece,
ii) knowledge on the characteristics of the Greek Flora and Fauna, including the vegetation diversity, the freshwater and marine ecosystems and the use of molecular markers in studying the Greek fauna,
iii) knowledge on the threats and conservation of biodiversity in Greece (including the Natura-2000 Network) as well as on ecosystem services
iv) will get familiar with representative ecosystems with special interest for flora and fauna.
Course Content (Syllabus)
The lectures will be on the following topics:
- Overview of the Greek Nature.
- Factors contributing to the high diversity of the Greek flora and fauna
- Freshwater Ecosystems in Greece
- Marine Ecosystems in Greece
- Terrestrial fauna in Greece
- Molecular Markers and applications in the Greek fauna
- The Greek Flora – Characteristics and peculiarities
- Vegetation diversity in Greece
- Threats and Conservation of biodiversity – The Natura 2000 Network.
- Ecosystem services
In addition the students will participate in three field-trips and finally, there will be assigned with a short-term project to carry out.
Greek Nature, Biodiversity, Conservation, Ecosystem Services, Flora, Fauna