After the successful completion of this course students will acquire the theoretical background of electronic image-photography and audio-video files (coding, sampling, digitization), they will learn about their intellectual property rights and will be trained in image and sound processing with the use of open source software, mainly the GIMP image editor. The course will include practice in digital photography and will be done primarily, but not exclusively on theological subjects.
Course Content (Syllabus)
The course aims that students acquire the theoretical background on image and sound files and to specialize on image processing.
1. Introduction to computer science, historical evolution, computer categories, computer hardware and software, computer peripherals.
2. Number systems, coding alphanumeric characters, encoding of images.
3. Coding systems (vector-raster), image compression (lossy and lossless).
4. Image formats, image processing (examples, practice).
5. Images-photos and intellectual property rights, defamation by using images-photos, pictures authenticity.
6. Audio-digitizing process and situational analysis, video (technical possibilities-problems).
7. Digitization process (scanning, digital photography-technical concepts, operating principles, characteristics), color systems, practice.
8. Image processing-open source software GIMP(I). Introduction and configuration
9. Image processing-open source software GIMP(II). Concept and tools, Practical examples
10. Image processing-open source software GIMP(III). Layers, Practical examples
11. Image processing-open source software GIMP(IV). Editing (bluring, mosaic, filters),Practical examples
12. Image processing-open source software GIMP(V). Masks, Color Editing, Practical examples
Computer science, digitization, processing, image, sound, digital, photography, GIMP