The course aims to introduce students to the basic principles of the field of Statistics, by emphasizing on the applications of Statistics in Geosciences. The course is designed to provide students with specific skills, i.e. to understand the use of the software SPSS, as a tool to be used for the interpretation of research results. Specifically, the course aims to:
• Help students to understand and use the basic concepts of statistics and probability theory.
• Description and analysis of quantitative data through the application of descriptive statistics. Students will be able to use fundamental concepts for data analysis, such as: a) Data type recognition, b) Data presentation with statistic plots and estimation of basic statistical measures.
• Analysis and understanding of the basic methods of statistics and its applications. Students will be able to work on the topics of estimation, confidence interval assessment, hypothesis testing, simple and multiple regression, ANOVA test, Correlation.
Course Content (Syllabus)
Introduction - variables: Continuous and discrete variables,
Probability theory -distributions (Bernoulli, Binomial, Poisson, Normal, X2, t και F).
Descriptive statistics: introduction, Frequency tables, boxplots, histograms. Basic statistics (mean, median, standard deviation, IQR). Scatter plots. Exercise
Hypothesis testing: One sample t- Test, Tests for differences of mean value, test of Goodness of Fit (Chi Square test, F test), test Kolmogorov-Smirnov, Exercise,
Analysis of two variables: Correlation, linear correlation, simple linear regression, non-linear correlation, Least squares, sampling error, ANOVA test, Exercise.
Multiple variable analysis: Generalized correlation, multiple linear regression
• Frequencies-Frequency Tables-Cumulative Frequencies
• Classes-Frequency Distribution Table-SPSS examples
• Descriptive Statistics - Data Analysis – Box plots - SPSS examples
• Hypothesis testing - SPSS examples
• Compute Variables - Scatter plots - SPSS examples
• Linear Regression - Errors - SPSS examples
• Least Square Regression - SPSS examples
• Linear correlation - multipoint correlation - SPSS examples
• Linear regression and ANOVA test - SPSS
Statistic, SPSS, Descriptive Statistic, Tests of hypotheses, Frequency analysis, Analysis of variance, regression, correlation
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΗ ΜΕ SPSS, ΠΕΡΙΕΧΕΙ ΘΕΩΡΙΑ ΠΙΘΑΝΟΤΗΤΩΝ, ΖΑΦΕΙΡΟΠΟΥΛΟΣ ΚΩΣΤΑΣ, ΜΥΛΩΝΑΣ ΝΙΚΟΣ, ISBN: 9789604186808, ΣΥΓΓΡΑΜΜΑ ΔΙΑΘΕΤΗΣ (ΕΚΔΟΤΗΣ): ΤΖΙΟΛΑΣ
ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΗ. ΠΕΡΙΛΗΠΤΙΚΗ ΘΕΩΡΙΑ - ΑΣΚΗΣΕΙΣ, ΝΙΚΟΣ ΦΑΡΜΑΚΗΣ,ISBN: 960-8183-18-9
ΣΤΑΤΙΣΤΙΚΗ, ΚΟΛΥΒΑ - ΜΑΧΑΙΡΑ ΦΩΤΕΙΝΗ, ΜΠΟΡΑ - ΣΕΝΤΑ ΕΥΘΥΜΙΑ,2Η ΕΚΔ./2012 ISBN: 978-960-456-350-0