The course aims at familiarizing students with the field of the philosophy of praxis in its connection to the problems of social and political philosophy. Upon completion of the course, students should
• Have acquired knowledge of the classic thinkers of the philosophy of praxis and their corresponding views regarding the field of social and political philosophy.
• Have acquired knowledge of the discussion on the opposition between subject and object/form and content in modern philosophy.
• Have acquired knowledge of the solutions to philosophical problems proposed by the tradition of the philosophy of praxis in the 20th century.
• Be able to apply its concepts in the analysis of contemporary problems of society and culture.
• Be able to analyze and reconstruct on a general level contemporary phenomena of society and culture, e.g. the phenomenon of reification.
• Be able to critically approach and understand these phenomena.
Course Content (Syllabus)
1) Fundamental themes in the philosophy of praxis: The genesis and development of modern society, the process of rational objectification, the phenomenon of reification in the different social fields: economy, politics, administration, science, and technology.
2) The general concept of culture and the particular problem of alienation its historical and synchronic dimensions.
3) The social process of the production and reproduction of the dominant form of consciousness and culture.
4) The proposal of the philosophy of praxis for overcoming modern dualism, reification, and alienation.
5) Classic representatives of the philosophy of praxis: Lukács, Korsch, Gramsci, Marcuse, et. al.
6) Contemporary issues about the relation between technical civilization and social alienation: The problems of the institutions and practices demanded in a free society.
Philosophy of praxis, reification, alienation, criticism.
Course Bibliography (Eudoxus)
1. Κωνσταντίνος Καβουλάκος, Ιστορία και πράξη. Η φιλοσοφία της πράξης του Γκέοργκ Λούκατς, Τόπος, Αθήνα 2018.
2. Γκέοργκ Λούκατς, Η πραγμοποίηση και η συνείδηση του προλεταριάτου, Εκκρεμές, Αθήνα 2006.